IN AUGUST OF 1812…
Israel Pyle, Benjamin Baldwin and David Broomall purchased land from Abraham Sharpless to form the Stonybank Methodist Church. Additional land to be used as a cemetery was deeded to the church by J. Eldridge in 1832.
Stonybank served the spiritual needs of nearby residents of Delaware County PA for nearly 120 years before it was abandoned in 1930 at the height of the Great Depression.
Finally in 1936, the property of the then Stonybank Methodist-Episcopal church was purchased for $1,000 by an adjacent landowner, James G. Maconachy. Maconachy was of Scottish ancestry and had recently obtained a nearby 170 year old house and adjoining property.
Maconachy funded the complete renovation of the church’s badly neglected property. A portion of the roof had caved in which necessitated the removal of numerous rotten timbers. Two of Maconachy’s hired-hands worked a full summer to clean up the nearby cemetery and tear down two “hitching sheds”.
Other than the brief period from 1930 to 1936, Stonybank has faithfully served the Lord from 1812 to the present time, still retaining its pine and mahogany pews.
The congregation of the Stonybank Community Church sincerely invites you to join us for worship this Sunday!